So you got a new candle, and now you're experiencing problems with it. You're starting to see a tunnel in the middle of your candle; the wick won't stay lit, or the flame is too low. Sounds about right? Here are some tips on how to troubleshoot these problems.
- Your candle has a tunnel/crater in the middle. If you are experiencing this, it's because you did not achieve a complete melt pool when you first burned your candle. Meaning, you did not allow the wax to melt across the container. To fix this, use a hairdryer. Hold the hairdryer over the top of the candle until the top layer of wax has melted and smoothed.
- Your candle won't stay lit. If your candle is not lighting at all, scrape off some of the wax around the wood wick and try lighting it again.
- Your candle flame is low. If you have a very low flame, carefully use a napkin to soak up the melted wax when your candle is lit. This is happening because the wax is the fuel to the wick, and there is just too much fuel for the candle to catch. Soaking up melted wax will solve this problem.
Many people don't realize that there's a right way to burn a candle.
To make the most of your Pawsitive Collections candle, use this guide for candle-burning best practices so you can get more out of your new favorite scent!
Trim your wick - You must trim your wick—every single time. Make sure your wooden wick is trimmed to 3/16" (5mm) before you light up your candle every time. After the first burn, you can also pinch off the un-lit burnt wood with your fingers. If the wick is too long, it may not draw the wax, resulting in a poor flame.
Let your wax melt all the way across - While our candles are supposed to remind you of each memorable moment with your furry loved one, did you know that candle wax has a memory of its own? Make sure you burn your candle so that the wax pool reaches the container edge each time to prevent tunnelling. If you don't do this every time, you're going to have your candle burn straight down with all that wax on the outer sides wasted.
Do not burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time - Burning your candle for too long is a dangerous thing to do. It can also lead to a fire hazard, especially if you kept the candle on a wooden surface or tray.